Getting Started in Real Estate
Becoming a licensed agent requires commitment. There are up-front investments associated with becoming a sales professional.
First Year Investment
(75 Hour Licensing Course)
|$450.00 + $45.00 textbook
|GRAR Registration Fee||$235.00
|NYS License Issuance|
(every two years)
|Continuing education||Costs vary
|Dues to GRAR|
(prorated when you join)
|Marketing and Personal Promotion||$1,000 estimate
Pre-License Education Beginning July 2008
- Must successfully complete the New York State accredited 75 hour licensing course.
- Course is taught throughout the year at local real estate schools as well as at the Greater Rochester Association of REALTORS.
- Cost of course is $450 plus $45 for the textbook
- Minimum score of 70% is required for the licensing course final exam
- A New York State exam is required. A score of 70% is passing. There is a $15.00 charge for this exam, and online registration is required by the Department of State.
NYS License Issuance
- All licensed are issued through an online process.
- Affiliate your salesperson license with Nothnagle REALTORS.
- Pay $50.00 licensing fee to Department of State (license is renewed every 2 years at a cost of $50.00 for each renewal).
- Membership to a real estate board is required to maintain your license. (board dues vary.)
- In order to maintain a New York State Real Estate License, you must complete 22.5 hours of continuing education with 3 hours of Fair Housing education every two years.
- The costs of these courses vary depending upon the courses you choose.